1901: Founded as Duncombe Hall College in Holloway, North London
1903: Moved to Manor Gardens, London (approximate time period)
1907: Moved to Stanborough Park, Watford
1931: Purchased Newbold Revel Estate in Warwickshire--becomes Newbold Missionary College.
1942: Government retains college which is temporarily moved to Packwood Haugh near Birmingham
1946: New campus (Binfield, Berkshire) purchased for $160,000 GBP; official opening ceremony was 6 February.
Download and read this great document about the "new" college that includes photos.
Reference to 1942 Government Takeover
H. W. Lowe
"In January, 1942, we were compulsorily relieved of our Newbold Missionary College, which is still retained by the government. This was a severe blow because (1) our work can never grow anywhere without an educational institution of this kind; (2) alternative accommodation was extremely difficult to find, and, when found, it was altogether unsuitable. Our college staff have had a most difficult time, but they have carried on and graduated about sixty-five students during this period.
Recently we purchased a new college campus for $160,000 as a venture of faith, and we hope soon to have the most modern training college we ever had at a total cost of some $280,000. Unfortunately, conscription sadly hinders our enrollment prospects, and we have never during the war had more than 90 students. We hope this will soon rise to about 150.
Our educational work, however, has had its brighter side. We have established a new secondary school or academy during the war. It is a thriving concern with an enrollment of more than 300, and has a rising reputation both inside and outside the cause.
Other severe losses came to us in the form of damage to twenty church buildings, and the complete loss of two others. Our evangelists had the most trying time of their lives. To have churches destroyed or damaged, to begin a public campaign only to have the hall put out of use overnight, to be almost unable to obtain hand-bills and quite unable to advertise in the newspapers, to have practically no tracts or small literature for interested people, to launch a campaign in towns which might, on account of raids, have many of the inhabitants evacuated overnight—these were discouragements to test the stoutest hearts. Yet our evangelists stuck to their posts and stayed by our people in their darkest hours." Review and Herald, vol 123, #24
Reference to move to Berkshire
1946: "Newbold College was requisitioned for military purposes early in the war. An unsatisfactory location was found in which the school carried on during the remainder of the war. More recently a new location has been found, and in January of this year they moved in. Much yet remains to be done to provide a satisfactory college unit. This is receiving careful sympathetic study by the field leadership."
Review and Herald, vol 123, #17
Australasian Record, Volume 50, April 29, 1946
"In the afternoon Pastor King, the president of the South England Conference, drove the Rigbys and me across to Bracknell, where the college is situated. It took about an hour to make the run, and it was very interesting. We went through Windsor, saw Eton College and some of the Eton boys in the street, in their top hats and tails. Just near the town is Windsor Castle. It stands on the highest prominence, and is really a beautiful and extensive structure. It really looks like a king's palace. We passed through the Royal lands. We saw the Duchess of Kent's home, the place where Gray's Elegy was written, and other historic buildings. Brother King said it was one of the most interesting parts of England. The college has only recently been purchased, as the Newbold College was taken over by the Government, and the college was carrying on in temporary quarters. The present building on the main estate is used as the administrative offices and girls' dormitory. It is a large brick place built about forty years ago, and is very good and solid. The light oak panelling and adornments inside are very fine. The boys' hall is on another section", about a quarter of a mile away. The building is very suitable, but it would be better to have it near by. There are about ninety students, including some Poles who have been released from the army; several Norwegians and Scandinavians, and others. We had a good look around before dark and then called on Pastor Murdoch, the principal. Brother Dawson showed the films at 6.30, and the audience seemed very much interested. The girls had not seen the boys' dormitory, so the boys invited them down that evening, and we were invited to go also."
The New English College Opens, Australasian Record, 20 May 1946
Many would like to have been able to step into the writer's shoes on Wednesday afternoon, February 6. Mere coincidence during the course of his daily duties brought him to the new College home at Moor Close, Binfield, near Bracknell, Berkshire.The modern building in red brick with its deep metal windows set in stone is alone sufficient to create an atmosphere of strength and dignity. Surely no better place could have been set apart for our school and educational work.
During the war the building had been the property of a large London firm who had kept it in excellent repair. They appeared very pleased in transferring it to its present owners. The equipment within is modern, and of course includes a full central heating plant. It is certain that no better accommodation could have been planned even if it had been laid brick by brick to our own requirements!
The writer's first call was at the men's dormitory, "The Hall," situated close to the main College buildings. Here the young men have adequate housing after (for many of them) five years of very temporary amenities. No one was feeling very straight or tidy, but this excellent and also modern, centrally heated building offered just what we have long needed in this way. Most of the rooms in both buildings are equipped with wash basins and hot and cold water. There was no time to look over either building on this visit, for within twenty minutes of arrival we had to gather in the chapel for the opening service.
Pastor H. W. Lowe spoke of the difficulties that have beset us in our College problems, and of how he realized as never before the great place our educational work occupies when we first faced the possibility of losing our school home five years ago. Now God had brought us through. He had done far more. We have in this new school home things beyond our expectation. He urged the students to retain the memory of how others had preserved the buildings for us under God's protection. He pointed out that we would be surrounded by a new and possibly inquisitive world who would be continually checking up on our standards. In the terms of Acts 20:22-24 he exhorted us to Christian integrity and endurance. Others, too, had had their wartime afflictions.
Brother Lowe cited the cases of many students who had continued their training and taken their examinations far from home; some high in the clouds and others in the depths of the sea. He went on say that this was not a dedication service of the building, since it was not as complete as we intend that it shall be. When Newbold (the old College) is finally sold, funds will be available to erect new administration buildings and a larger chapel so that the whole of the present building may become a young ladies' dormitory.
Review and Herald, Vol. 124, No. 34, August 21, 1947
"...Not only did the sanitarium feel the effects of the war through government occupancy, but our college did also. However, in the case of the school, the government has paid for the property and we have moved to a new location. Newbold College, as it has been known through the years, is now at Binfield, near Bracknell, thirty-three miles from Stanborough Park. The location is good, a quiet village being the setting. A large building, the former expansive home of a society gentleman, is the one main unit that has housed the school in the transition period of this last year. Temporary dormitory quarters were secured for the young men. The fact that the school has been kept going in this transition period, despite the heavy handicaps, gives strong proof that our British brethren fervently believe in Christian education. Definite plans are under way for the erection of dormitories for young men and young women. The present building is already being enlarged."